The new year is a fresh, clean start, a blank slate so to speak. So why not start the New Year off with a fresh coat of paint? The right color scheme is a pillar of interior design, and there is no color more universal than a great, versatile white. White can be both timeless and modern, can read warm or cold and plays off of other colors in its proximity.
Cream, Eggshell, Ecru? At first glance one may not see much cause for distinction between these shades but on walls, on trim and on a larger scale there is in fact a significant difference. With so many options, selecting the right white can daunting.
To help you find the shade that will best serve your space, we are going back to basics and are sharing a few of our ‘go-to’ shades of white.
1. Swiss Coffee by Dun Edwards is always in our back pocket. Its a classic for trim, baseboards, casings, and ceilings though it looks great on walls as well. There are creamy undertones that keep it from feeling too cold or clinical, and it has a warm undertone while still feeling crisp and clean.
2. School House White by Farrow and Ball is a pared back, timeless and familiar color without the cool undertones of the more contemporary neutral groups. The soft off white reminds us of the tone used in old school houses.
3. Blackened White is Farrow and Ball’s coolest white, with the slightest hint of grey. Historically it was made with the addition of lamp black pigment gathered from the smoke of burning oil lamps. Blackened White works perfectly with neutrals creating a minimal look or stronger industrial feel.
A British paint manufacturer largely based upon historic color palettes and archives, Farrow and Ball uses Eco Friendly formulas and have a pared down catalogue making it an approachable option.
4. Benjamin Moore Simply White has been a designer go to for years. It was Benjamin Moore’s color of the year in 2016. This versatile white is especially lovely on cabinetry and trim. It is a warm and inviting shade that is still a true white.
5. West Highland White by Sherwin Williams is a welcoming white paint color that lends a warm, homey feel to spaces. It works well with rich wood tones and a variety of color palettes.